Forum Etiquette: Double Posting

David

I thought I'd post this reminder since I'm starting to see virtually everyone do it -- one poster should not make multiple consecutive replies in a thread. This is generally known as "double posting" on forum communities and is usually against etiquette. 

I figured it would slow down or stop after people became familiar with the forum buttons, but it's definitely started to become standard procedure. I've noticed people generally do it for a few reasons, and I'm posting the following so people know how to properly use the functionality to avoid multiple posts.

1. Quoting and replying to multiple different posts.

If you want to quote multiple different posts in a thread, simply click the "multiquote" button on each post you want to reply to. This will automatically add quotes when you go to reply.

2. Adding additional information to posts.

If you want to add something to a post you've already submitted, you shouldn't immediately post again with the new information. Instead, hit the "Edit" button on the post you want to add (or remove information) to.

3. Replying to bump threads.

I haven't noticed this at all, but I'll mention it for future reference. If you don't think a thread you created has had enough attention, please don't post in it just to bump it to the active topics list. There is, however, some gray area where bumping is acceptable. For example, if there's new news or other information to add to an already existing topic. For example, if Zenimax were to release new details that answered a previously asked (and previously unanswered) question.

If you have any additional questions about the forum functionality or specific scenarios, feel free to ask below.

Also, I want to make it a point to state that you shouldn't feel bad if this is something you know you've done; you're definitely not in trouble or anything. It's actually my fault since I haven't mentioned anything about it, nor have I been moderating the offending posts (Blake is also MIA for some reason). It's just one of those things that if left alone can get out of hand. 

Personally, I fail to see the significance of this type of etiquette. But, sure, if you say so, man.

It can quickly turn into tons of short, spammy replies in a race for high post counts. That's not a problem now since we have a great group of regular users, but when there's a larger user base it will become more noticeable. 

Fits my description of the gray area. :)

Posted Image