Is ESO Dungeons & Dragons with Skyrim?

IF THERE IS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND UNDERSTANDS IT CAN YOU HELP ME WITHOUT MAKING A JOKE

Long answer no.

I have played D&D extensively, and while elder scrolls at one point has many similarities, skyrim onward is moving away from that direction. 

Key Differences:

Dungeons and Dragon's characters are based off of four main considerations: Attributes, skills, feats, and class features.

Elder Scrolls online characters will grow based off Ability and Crafting progression alone.

What this means is that in Dungeons and Dragons if you wanted to increase your carrying capacity and damage as a warrior, you would want to focus on having a high str stat. However in Eso, you would just look for things that increased "damage" or "Carrying capacity" So no primary stats mean that you cannot naturally a faster speed stat, or dex stat, but you have to focuse directly on the derived attributes. (This would be like just boosting Fort saves directly instead of Boosting Con).

Another way that ESO is moving away is limiting non-combat skill lines. In D&D you want to get better at talking? Upgrade diplomacy skill. In Eso? Go fly a kite and gtfo. No skill point progression for things like talking, lock picking, sneaking, seeing/hearing, etc. 

The final key difference goes with the class progression. In D&D the bulk of your abilites stemmed from your primary class choice. If you were a ranger, you're getting favored enemy etc. In ESO the class abilities are "optional" There are many sources for abilities, and you have to choose a limited number to use at once. So in ESO you have a larger repetoir of abiliteis you know, however can only use a set number at any given time. In Dungeons and Dragons, you might not have as many choices, however all are available to you at one time. I guess ESO's entire tree is similar to how a Wizard casts spells. They wake up in the morning and choose the specific spells they want to cast that day from their book, however another day could use a totally different set of spells. This is like ESO, just choose your abilities you want to know for the day and head out.

Also another important difference is in the method of gaining XP. in D&D the party fights a group of monsters and gets xp towards their next level. In ESO you level up specific abilities simply by using them repeatedly. So individual skills get more powerful, and that determines your level. As you gain a certain amount of experience for certain skills, then you get to level up. Which does nothing more than allow you to add a point to your "attributes" of health, stamina, and mana. (And gain access to higher levels of gear presumably)

Also there is a key difference in resource regeneration. In D&D you had to cast a healing spell, or sleep to get HP back. Same thing with Spells per day. In ESO your resources (hp, stamina, mana) are constantly regenerating. This is possibly one of the bigger differences. In D&DF you had to carefully choose how much power you wnated to put into a specific encounter, not knowing what could come up later in the day. Sure you killed that goblin tribe with 6 meteor spells, but when that dragon comes later that day, you are totally out of meteors to toss. In Eso you should enter every single fight more or less at full capacity. If you are not at full resources, just sit around for a hot minute to gain your stuff back.

No crossbows, spears/reach, throwing weapons available in ESO. (Please add Spears in an expansion I'm begging)

Enemy A.I. behaviors. You may be able to manipluate the computer controlled enemies in a far greater degree than you could trick them in D&D. I.e. if a baddy is attackign your friend, then you can do enough damage to peel him off your friend and "aggro" you. Aggro dynamics are one of the key things that make fights varied.

Another small note dying occurs at 0 hp, not -10 hp

There are also a GREAT many similarities.

Crafting! The more you craft the more you grow in ability and the higher level things you can craft. Also takes specific resources for higher level crafting. Very similar to D&D.

Questing. A quest could come from anywhere. Talk to NPC's and they may have something for you. these can range from silly to grand in scale. Often encounters can lead to epic forts, dank dungeons, against armies of enemy forces etc.

Castle siege: If you bought the D&D expansion packs no doubt you came accross ballistae, trebuchet etc. In this you can destroy castle walls, break down gates, etc with grand ole' siege weaponary.

Like D&D 4.0 skills are often nuanced special attacks. For example a sheild/ sword char in eso might have a low attack that does a little less damage, but root an opponent in place. Like 4.0 there are abilities that have special attack parameters and augment combat in small ways. A good team blend of these skills seems similar to a well working part in 4.0

Fantasy Setting. Elder scrolls is a deep, living, breathing world, with epic tonnes of lore to discover about the mysterious world around you.

Massive exploration. Eventually you will be able to explore an entire continents worth of content. How big it will all really be is yet to be seen, but I have faith that it will be largest, most varied modern Elder Scrolls to explore. ( I like morrowind too, but 70% of the map was ash.)

So this is not quite the D&D online you might be looking for. True role playing elements are something that you as a player will have to create as the game itself will offer a far more shallow role playing experience than D&D. However it sounds like player choice does matter, and people will react to your choices. However compared to the freedom that D&D gives players, ESO will end up feeling far more restrictive. However if you can get past the lack of potential RP depth, or find a group of like-minded players, then I thin you will enjoy the possibilities of changing characters on the fly. Also if you like exploring I am very excited for the screen shots I've seen of the environment, architecture, etc. I believe the enemy group tactics will make battles varied and thrilling. Also the character customization and item crafting look like you can create your own unique looking toon. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I have digested a vast amount of content from both elder scrolls and dungeons and dragons, so would be happy to shed light on topics as I am able.

• Upvote 2

it was more than expected and i just wanted a clear yes or no, so you got it.

if there was a type of upvoting you had in this forum that was like currency, then you would be rich. 

You're welcome! Just glad to shed some light on two of my favorite topics. Hope to see you online on ESO. I haven't had the chance to play it, but the new stuff coming out gives me the shivers.

I am really excited for the pvp. Especially seeing the archer on top of the castle poking his head out to blast a couple of arrows as a warrior down below then pops out, and BAM! that warrior has a destruction staff he's blasting electricity back at him.