Blood on the Ice...

Guest Lucas

Question

Guest Lucas

Okay. I know this quest is buggy but I really want the house. The jarl tells me I can be thane when I get the house in windhelm. I went to buy It but he house Carl said its not ready yet. I went to the graveyard and THERE WERE NO GAURDS THERE. No body or anything. I even went at night. Still nothing. (Keep that in mind and don't tell me to go there.) I left the city and came back multiple times. Still nothing. I went to the House of Clan Shatter-Shield and there was a dead body in the one bedroom, I guess it was the wife or daughter. (Name was Tova Shatter-Shield) I searched her and found the key to the Hjerim (the house to buy) and I went into the house and searched around. I can't investigate. It gives me the option but it won't let me. I found the room with all the dead bodies and I found the Beware The Butcher notes and it said to report anything to Viola Giordano I found her in Candleheath Hall and she just talked. No options to tell her what I found in the house. I also found #1 and #2 of the butchers journals. I don't know how to start. Please don't answer if you don't know or if you're going to say I'm out of luck. I need help and people who say that aren't helping.I already have the Breezehome but its small. I love the Hjerim it's extreamly nice when furnished. PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS HOUSE.

1 answer to this question

Everytime you visit Windhelm there's a counter that goes up by 1. When it hits 4, you must then complete two more conditions before the quest becomes available.

[*]Enter Windhelm through the main gate, the docks gate, or by fast-traveling, between 7pm and 7am. This triggers the graveyard scene. [*]Tova Shatter-Shield and Arivanya need to be alive.

You can't start the quest because you don't pass that last condition with Tova Shatter-Shield (who commits suicide if Nilsine is killed in the DB quest). It's a common issue, unfortunately. If you have the PC version you can fix it with console commands, otherwise you'll have to load a previous save.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.