Min/Max Combos (Very Early Theorycrafting)

Musclemagic

I'm thinking about getting some of the Draconic Power passives for my DK but I have no current plans to use any draconic abilities.

Will I have to use draconic skills to get the passives? Something Musclemagic said made me think so.

Where did you guys find the info on how to become emperor? I would love to read it if you could pass me a link.

Love this thread! learning new things every day here :)

Cheers Raar for that information especially the list of types of enchantments! I was quite interested to know about the existence of combat stamina/health/magicka regeneration as I've been wondering if that was possible for a while now. Seems if flat 10 is the amount for that then it might be a better option than enchantments that simply add more of a stat, at least more useful the build/s I intend to have. Yeah I guess the block one I saw must have been one enchantment with two effects on blocking rather than two separate enchantments. Thanks for the clarity and info!It will definitely be interesting to see what kind of set bonuses are revealed in the future...Another random thing - with the pvp leaked video with Japanese commentary - did anyone properly see what the max health was on that guy? I could see he had gear with health on it and had spent 39 level points into health but  I couldn't figure out whether it was in the 1200's or 1800's due to poor resolution? Well, at least that was my guess at what the first digit for his max health was. If it was 1800's then regen of the stat you put more points into is going to be fairly significant.

It was 1800 I have watched the same video in a better quality.It depends on quite a few things if the reg is better than an increase of the stat because you have keep in mind that your normal reg is % based which means more stamina points also means that you reg more points per sec.

Thanks Raar for those examples of Set Bonuses and thanks Irons for the confirmation that the health stat was indeed in the 1800s.I agree that balancing b between adding total stat vs. adding just regen of the stat is going to be fairly important in determining how you can spam and time your skills as well as longevity of effectiveness of your build.In some ways I think the way someone handles the three stats in amount and regen combined with analysing the passives and actives for cost-effectiveness is going to be the most crucial aspect potentially of both PvE and PvP.

I'm thinking about getting some of the Draconic Power passives for my DK but I have no current plans to use any draconic abilities.

Will I have to use draconic skills to get the passives? Something Musclemagic said made me think so.

Where did you guys find the info on how to become emperor? I would love to read it if you could pass me a link.

Love this thread! learning new things every day here :)

Soaks, I believe (like in Skyrim) you will have a level for each skill line that is independent of your actual character level. So you could be lvl 50 but only have your Draconic Skill line at level 23. So using abilities from a skill line gives you experience toward lvling that skill line up and I believe that all actives and passives in every skill line have different "levels" required in that skill line for you to be able to purchase them using your skill points. IE.g. Inhale may be lvl 36 in Draconic Skill line to purchase it using a skill point (not sure what lvl it actually is though). Hence the racial passives that give extra experience percentages toward certain skill lines, for example Redguards get +15% experience on top of normal experience for using skills in the "Weapon and Shield" skill line.

Well, sounds good but I was almost certain that the description of Rune Focus reads as "gain immunity to interrupt effects" which would, in my opinion and comprehension of this description, mean that skills that "interrupt" specifically such as Hidden Blade and basic moves that interrupt (bashing with your shield) would be the only ones you would be immune to, but that hard CC skills likes stuns would still affect you while you were in the aoe of Rune Focus.Just like how interrupts will still affect you if you have Immovable active and not Rune Focus as well despite not being able to be stunned.Unless you plan to have both skills active at the same time of course :P

Rune Focus will only prevent interrupts, but Immovable will prevent "KB and Disabling effects".

wish I could put in a templar ability (I'd do Healing Ritual instead of Blessing of Protection), but since you're required to use 2 weapon abilities I felt that this was the best substitute--replacing Healing Ritual instead of replacing Sun Shield, Immovable, or Rune Focus. XD

Oh btw it's a really good build.In an 1vs1 my DK would kick your ass but for beeing Emperor that build will be definitive one of the strongest builds out there.

I don't think you'd be able to stick to me hard enough to get the kill, I'd just run away, haha! :P

Something that's been bothering me about other people's builds...--

There's no point of having multiple aoe's or single target abilities that aren't DoT's. You really want to be going all utility/set-up/defense/heals and then having one spammable AOE dmg (such as solar flare) and one spammable single-target dmg (like flurry). It's like.. I get that every skill's different, but come on... XD

(Most the people here don't do that, so it's not you guys.. it's just bothersome.)

Rune Focus will only prevent interrupts, but Immovable will prevent "KB and Disabling effects".I wish I could put in a templar ability (I'd do Healing Ritual instead of Blessing of Protection), but since you're required to use 2 weapon abilities I felt that this was the best substitute--replacing Healing Ritual instead of replacing Sun Shield, Immovable, or Rune Focus. XD  I don't think you'd be able to stick to me hard enough to get the kill, I'd just run away, haha! :P

You don't need to use any weapon skills at all you could just use class only skills. That rumor came up quite early and was a simply misinterpretation of someone who had the gw2 system in mind.

You don't need to use any weapon skills at all you could just use class only skills. That rumor came up quite early and was a simply misinterpretation of someone who had the gw2 system in mind.

And I'm really thankful that it's not true. Would be so so annoying to have to live with always needing to slot 2 weapon skills when you only have 5 in total anyway. :P

And I'm really thankful that it's not true. Would be so so annoying to have to live with always needing to slot 2 weapon skills when you only have 5 in total anyway. :P

It would be okay if you have 2 weapon slots + 5 slots for actives.But even than I would prefer the current system

Something that's been bothering me about other people's builds...-- There's no point of having multiple aoe's or single target abilities that aren't DoT's. You really want to be going all utility/set-up/defense/heals and then having one spammable AOE dmg (such as solar flare) and one spammable single-target dmg (like flurry). It's like.. I get that every skill's different, but come on... XD (Most the people here don't do that, so it's not you guys.. it's just bothersome.)

You are absolutely right.We are allready quite limited with the number of skills we can use to further reduce the number of skills through picking skills which do the same thing is a waste.

I don't think you'd be able to stick to me hard enough to get the kill, I'd just run away, haha! :P

That kind of reminds me of a scenario I actually could see in PvP.A Nightblade Assassine/Archer is camping in Cyrodil to ambush players who come along.Than a Dragonknight runs by and the Nightblade just ignores him.
  • Upvote 1

Oh I see you guys chatting about weapon slots etc again, I mentioned a day or so ago to Musclemagic that a lot of builds/specs going around were wrong due to them having more than 2 weap skills slotted on a hotbar, as for replacing them with other class skills etc I don't think that's possible unless they changed something. As I linked the article on ESO wiki to Musclemagic that says it. Just in case...

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online

states...

6 Skills can be used at any one time:

• [*]
The first two are weapons skills.  [21][14] [*]The next three are class skills. [21][14] [*]The final skill is the Ultimate Ability.

Ofc it could have changed or perhaps I misunderstood but in my head in seems logical they wouldn't want people just using calss skills and running around without weapons. But yeah as I said may have changed...

Oh I see you guys chatting about weapon slots etc again, I mentioned a day or so ago to Musclemagic that a lot of builds/specs going around were wrong due to them having more than 2 weap skills slotted on a hotbar, as for replacing them with other class skills etc I don't think that's possible unless they changed something. As I linked the article on ESO wiki to Musclemagic that says it. Just in case...

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online

states...

6 Skills can be used at any one time:

[*]The first two are weapons skills.  [21][14]

[*]The next three are class skills. [21][14]

[*]The final skill is the Ultimate Ability.

Ofc it could have changed or perhaps I misunderstood but in my head in seems logical they wouldn't want people just using calss skills and running around without weapons. But yeah as I said may have changed...

Like I said that's not the case. Maybe that was the case in a very early build they used but the first build showed at a convention allready allowed you to slot 5 actives from your class.

The only limitation they have is that you can't use a bow ability without using a bow.

If you have 8 Skilltrees to chose from: 3 class, 1 weapon, 2 guild, 2 PvPyou only want one skill of each tree to get the maximum out of those passivs. If 1 skill gives you 3-5 passivs, you end up having a ton of passiv bonuses if u chose right.p.E.: Fiery Reach, Spiked Armor, Shield Charge, Entropy, Caltrops, Magma Armor would make a decent tankbuild with the maximum amount of passivs used for tanking. plus HA ofc

If you have 8 Skilltrees to chose from: 3 class, 1 weapon, 2 guild, 2 PvPyou only want one skill of each tree to get the maximum out of those passivs. If 1 skill gives you 3-5 passivs, you end up having a ton of passiv bonuses if u chose right.p.E.: Fiery Reach, Spiked Armor, Shield Charge, Entropy, Caltrops, Magma Armor would make a decent tankbuild with the maximum amount of passivs used for tanking. plus HA ofc

Yupyup, that's why (at least at first) you want to have your active abilities nailed down so that you can fill your passives as quickly as possible. ^.^

Like I said that's not the case. Maybe that was the case in a very early build they used but the first build showed at a convention allready allowed you to slot 5 actives from your class.The only limitation they have is that you can't use a bow ability without using a bow.

Ah, okay. The quakecon video did support 2 weapon / 3 others scenario so I didn't want to rule it out. (And, it wasn't a misconception from GW2, Maria actually said it straight up in 2 interviews--but the interviews were about a year ago now so I didn't know if it was still relevant) I kind of didn't think so, because otherwise people would be talking about it more.

Hey Musclemagic... I think I may have got that best spec Templar build I was thinking about, looks damn juicy but need to firm up the details bit more and will post, see what you guys think.

Btw great thread guys and ideas....

I'm stoked to see what you come up with! Right now I'm tweaking mine since we don't need 2 weapon abilities. Like I said in a PM to you, there are only a couple things I'm changing anyway.

Not really that great of a Tank build + some passives give you a bonus for each ability you have on your bar.

Templar – Heavy Armor – Bow/Resto – Orc

Bow

Solar Flare – M

Sun Fire – M

Piercing Javelin – M

Snipe – S

Rapid Maneuver – S

*Berserker Rage – U

Resto Staff

Sun Shield – M

Immovable – S

Rune Focus – M

Healing Ritual – M

Regeneration – M

*Barrier – U

I definitely enjoy this build more without forcing the 2 weapon skills. Piercing Javelin > Scatter Shot (Not in 2v2/3v3, but in both 1v1 [further range] and in big group fights [more damage for picking off almost-deads] it is better.) and Healing Ritual > Blessing of Protection (with Sun Shield, Immovable, and Rune Focus, it's better to have a more specific heal on top of just Regeneration.)

Not really that great of a Tank build + some passives give you a bonus for each ability you have on your bar.

I think he was just throwing out a quick example rather than really trying to spec.

It was a really good post, everyone should be weary of what he said while they're making their initial builds... It's a good idea to use that build until you're maxed on passives* rather than actives, and then start branching out. Otherwise you won't have access to the passives you probably want/need ASAP.

Here's a topic I'd like to discuss:

What will be the fastest way to level? Using one tree heavily until it's higher level, and then using the lower level skills on the higher monsters that you'll be fighting in conjunction with your other abilities?

Because it'll be quicker to level something up if it's "catching up" to the monster levels you're fighting...

But, on the other hand, if you are more steady then everything will level together...just a bit slower?

Overall it shouldn't effect your C.Lvl, just your experience in the skill trees.

Or, maybe I have this all backward. Can anyone comment?

Here's a topic I'd like to discuss:What will be the fastest way to level? Using one tree heavily until it's higher level, and then using the lower level skills on the higher monsters that you'll be fighting in conjunction with your other abilities?Because it'll be quicker to level something up if it's "catching up" to the monster levels you're fighting... But, on the other hand, if you are more steady then everything will level together...just a bit slower? Overall it shouldn't effect your C.Lvl, just your experience in the skill trees. Or, maybe I have this all backward. Can anyone comment?

I remember a dev saying that you could level your skills quite fast at max lvl.Personally I will spend my first 3 points on class abilities so that I lvl those trees.That way I should have my weapon, armor and class trees at max when I'm lvl 50.And I'm not sure if I will lvl in PvE or PvP.

I think he was just throwing out a quick example rather than really trying to spec. It was a really good post, everyone should be weary of what he said while they're making their initial builds... It's a good idea to use that build until you're maxed on passives* rather than actives, and then start branching out. Otherwise you won't have access to the passives you probably want/need ASAP.

I personally start creating builds by picking a pole of actives I like. Than I think about for what purpose the build is. The passives simply help me to decide what skills make it into the build.I would never pick actives just because of the passives most if them are simply not strong enough to make up for a bad ability.