Photo

Min/Max Combos (Very Early Theorycrafting)

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

Soaks

Soaks

• 46 Posts

I don't know your build but maybe you could to well with Obsidian Shield. It's an AoE dmg shield which is twice as strong for the DK and you gain stamina when using it on other players.

Ye, that sounds sweet. It doesn't go towards solving the lack of AoE, though. So perhaps I'll have to swap it out when fighting trash.

Based on my experience in other mmos AoE tanking requires a great deal of AoE damage. In for instance WoW, Warrior-tanking without thunderclap would be a pain.

I understand that threat will work differently from any other games I've played, so perhaps its not as big of an issue as I think?

I hope someone will make an add-on which would allow you to save and change skill set-ups by pushing a button. That would allow for some fun strategic gameplay.

Advertisement

The discussion continues after this sponsored message. Tired of seeing advertisements? Create an account to remove them.

Thal

Thal

• 142 Posts

1. Use Obsidian Shield to protect you and your brothe, activate Immovable + Momentum

2. Use fiery reach to pull enemys to you

3. Activate inferno to deal dmg

4. use dark talon to immobolize them + deal dmg

5. use ashfield so that they can't hurt you

6. use lava whip to keep them of balance

Basically you keep them cain CC, you use Immovable to be immune to CC and you use Obsidian shield + Ash field so that you take less dmg + you deal a punch of AoE dmg through Inhale,Dark Talon, Inferno and Splash dmg from your 2Hander + they are perma snared through Inferno and Ash Field.

Thanks for the input! I do like the idea of so much AoE especially given that we're likely to run into enemy players that are probably mostly going to be sticking together in large raids. I think you're right about needing to include way more aoe skills and I guess the splash damage on 2-handers is pretty decent for dealing out the damage.I did have one question though, I have been always assuming that we had to slot at least 2 "weapon" skills and could only have 3 of our 5 skills as "class" or "other" skills. Is this true or can we make the 5 skills up from totally class skills for example?

irons

irons

• 428 Posts
No you can freely pick your abilities. So if you want you could go without any skills from your class.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

Ye, that sounds sweet. It doesn't go towards solving the lack of AoE, though. So perhaps I'll have to swap it out when fighting trash.Based on my experience in other mmos AoE tanking requires a great deal of AoE damage. In for instance WoW, Warrior-tanking without thunderclap would be a pain.I understand that threat will work differently from any other games I've played, so perhaps its not as big of an issue as I think?I hope someone will make an add-on which would allow you to save and change skill set-ups by pushing a button. That would allow for some fun strategic gameplay.

Obsidian Shield is an AoE dmg shield not an AoE dmg ability.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts
I think AoE tanking will be more about CC than about pure dmg.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts
I could see ESO beeing some how like GW2 where a group is strongest when they all stand at 1point.Just think about all the great support skills most of them are AoE, when you stand as a group you easily activate synergies the tank is close to group and can take over the aggro faster. So basically I could see it work like this.The group stays behind, preferable in a edge where they are safe of range attacks.The tank runs in hits the mobs and runs back to the group where the fight starts.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

Hey guys,I've been following your comments about various possibilities for Tanks and want to throw a couple ideas your way to see what you think. With what we know so far I'm leaning toward either a DK or Templar tank. 

.... [Long post]

I read your post and I like your ideas, most if it we'll just need to wait and see how it plays out in end-game.

My opinion-

For 2h I would go Nightblade. 1h/shield tanking is best fit on a DK.

I also really wouldn't recommend having two people similarly skilled on the same team, there's too much synergy in this game that you really should try to be diverse to overcome as many situations as you can.

Utility Temp/Summoning Mage will most likely be the strongest 2 man group in PVE. I firmly believe this to be true.

Irons point of wanting to have Stam and Magicka is a point well taken, at least enough to use the stat you use least up so it doesn't go to waste. My real concern is that between bracing, power attacks, dodge rolls, sprinting, stealthing, etc... if you wouldn't use all of it even at endgame during combat? Does it scale at all with how much you have, or is it constant--in which case it's unlikely we'd use it all just on those mechanics...

This right there makes me re-think my strategy of using both staves....

I really get the feeling that at endgame through the gear's enchants (Well, unless it is entirely +stats and not +damage types or anything...) that I'll probably only be using one weapon's bar 80% of the time anyway.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

I could see ESO beeing some how like GW2 where a group is strongest when they all stand at 1point.Just think about all the great support skills most of them are AoE, when you stand as a group you easily activate synergies the tank is close to group and can take over the aggro faster.So basically I could see it work like this.The group stays behind, preferable in a edge where they are safe of range attacks.The tank runs in hits the mobs and runs back to the group where the fight starts.

This is similar to how I see it. Focusing fire is always the best way to deal with hard packs, starting with trash as long as the big guys are being tanked.. No matter how bad ESO wants to be different without relying on taunts and traditional aggro it's still going to have similar enough mechanics that we can predict how some things have to be...and yeah, definitely stacking will be the best. I'm really curious if multi-boxing will be allowed because with just 6 skills it could be very easy to make a very efficient multiboxing setup that could dominate pretty dang hard in ESO.. =

irons

irons

• 428 Posts
I don't believe that they will allow multiboxing.

irons

irons

• 428 Posts
For everyone who is unsure what class he should pick here is my view on them.Templer:Is the best overall class.If you are unsure what role you wanna play pick Templer they can play them all and are good at them.You can be a good Tank, Dps, ... however some other classes will simply be better at some of those roles.Nightblade:Is the best single target Dps class.If you want do deal the most possible dmg on a target Nightblade is the way to go.However Nightblades lack AoE you have access via your weapon skills but you can't compete with others when it comes to AoE.Dragonknight:The best Tank and Tanky melee Dps class.DK's have great survibility and a good dmg output which makes them the perfect choise if you like tanking or melee combat.But don't expect them to be that great at range this class really excels in close combat.Sorccerer:Is the most tricky/fun class.If you want to troll others in PvP sorc should be your class of choise.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

For everyone who is unsure what class he should pick here is my view on them.Templer:Is the best overall class.If you are unsure what role you wanna play pick Templer they can play them all and are good at them.You can be a good Tank, Dps, ... however some other classes will simply be better at some of those roles.Nightblade:Is the best single target Dps class.If you want do deal the most possible dmg on a target Nightblade is the way to go.However Nightblades lack AoE you have access via your weapon skills but you can't compete with others when it comes to AoE.Dragonknight:The best Tank and Tanky melee Dps class.DK's have great survibility and a good dmg output which makes them the perfect choise if you like tanking or melee combat.But don't expect them to be that great at range this class really excels in close combat.Sorccerer:Is the most tricky/fun class.If you want to troll others in PvP sorc should be your class of choise.

idk if I agree entirely, there are so many niche's that each class can fill better than the next. Even changing one weapon or armor ability on one bar could change which class you should be using.

NB for burst // DoT+HoT // sneak playstyle. Sorc for pets // burst // CC. DK is for any heavy armor user, passive health regen, passive tanking, better in melee range. Templar should only be your choice if you want to heal others and you don't want to only use a Resto Staff-- If you aren't in it to heal others, you're better off using another class. If you want to be a templar to self-heal then play a DK instead of Templar, their self-heals are the best. Templar is a good reaction based class, if you are an offensive player who likes to overwhelm the enemy then don't play a temp... I would actually say that templar is the best "trolling" class just to fuck with people.

Luke

Luke

• 8 Posts

Don't forget that you have a second set of abilities which means that you basically have 12 abilities.

That's good, although i still think that having 2 more actives plus 1 ultimate per set would be epic. I appreciate that the reason of having 5 actives plus 1 ultimate is to give you a better view of the environment; it's just that with there being so many incredible abilities i want as many to use as possible.

What would you guys say to having the option of slotting an active ability into an ultimate slot? I have been thinking about my nightblade skills and the thought came to me that sometimes an extra active ability might be more useful than an ultimate. I know this might seem crazy as ultimate abilities have awesome powers, but in comparison to stamina and magicka spells they are costly so having an extra active abililty might give you an advantage. What do you think?

irons

irons

• 428 Posts

That's good, although i still think that having 2 more actives plus 1 ultimate per set would be epic. I appreciate that the reason of having 5 actives plus 1 ultimate is to give you a better view of the environment; it's just that with there being so many incredible abilities i want as many to use as possible. What would you guys say to having the option of slotting an active ability into an ultimate slot? I have been thinking about my nightblade skills and the thought came to me that sometimes an extra active ability might be more useful than an ultimate. I know this might seem crazy as ultimate abilities have awesome powers, but in comparison to stamina and magicka spells they are costly so having an extra active abililty might give you an advantage. What do you think?

I know that feeling that 2 more actives would be great. The ultimate doesn't cost stamina or magicka and is basically a free skill which you can use from time to time.Maybe they add a 6th slot some time after lunch if they get the feedback that it is needed. But keep in mind the less skills you can choose the more important is your choise.

Musclemagic

Musclemagic

• 593 Posts

It's the same reason that Diablo 3 plays with 6 abilities. It works best for console controllers.

I do wish that we could put a regular ability in an ultimate slot, it would screw people over who don't use an ultimate. A whole resource gone to waste, using more of your magicka/stamina instead of having an epic game-changing ability to use strategically.

I love being forced to make decisions! This is where theorycrafters trump in PvP.

Luke

Luke

• 8 Posts

I do wish that we could put a regular ability in an ultimate slot, it would screw people over who don't use an ultimate. A whole resource gone to waste, using more of your magicka/stamina instead of having an epic game-changing ability to use strategically.

Muscle, it was my intention to have an ultimate slotted in set 1 and actives in set 2. Clearly it would be retarded to not have an ultimate ability slotted. I was under the impression that ultimates had a high cost to make them not spammable, meaning that an active ability, though maybe less powerful, would be more efficient in certain situations.

No need for sarcasm. You just reminded me why i stopped playing mmos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Not a member? Sign up!

Create Account
Already have an account? Sign in!
Logo

A place for Elder Scrolls fans.

4,749 Members 5,241 Discussions 35,399 Replies
This site is not affiliated with ZeniMax Media Inc. or any of its subsidiaries.
© 2018 ElderSouls.com