so today at work...

Saucy

At about the end of my day (a little before 8 pm.) I glanced out the window and it looked like it was midnight. At first I thought maybe we had lost an hour of daylight to daylight savings time ending but after a second I realized that it doesn't end till early winter. After my first realization I thought to myself "oh shit.", and I walked over to the window and sure enough a big mother fucking storm was upon us. 

Normally at this time of day the sun would still be up and pretty light out yet, but this thing was real nasty it was black out there. I cupped my hands on the window so I could see outside and the closest thing I could relate it to was a hurricane, shit flying everywhere, trees snapping, you know, the usual...

After about 10 minutes the front of the storm passed and it eased up a little to the point that you could see outside without fearing that something was going to smash through the window and kill you. Another 5 minutes and the street that leads to our parking lot starts flowing with an inch or so of water, nothing bad just some water draining off the street. Fast-forward another 10 minutes and the street really starts filling up and the water and is sweeping away some large branches that fell. Within half an hour of this storm hitting us the water level on the street was up to the hoods on most cars.

I took some video and snapped some pictures with my 4g ipod i had with but when I uploaded them to my computer the quality was so terrible I didn't bother uploading to the forums. 

Luckily the street that leads to our parking lot was only a back road that a few businesses were on so not many people had to get through there. My car was also thankfully parked higher up than the street in the higher part of the parking lot.

After we saw the street flooding we headed back to the basement where there is a garage door and a back exit. The owner being a dumb ass hadn't put in a threshold so there was about half an inch space under the garage door for water to go through. On top of that, the river that had formed on the road was conveniently flowing into our back lot where our dumpsters and some semis are. The water carried the dumpsters about 50 feet until they stopped infront of our basement garage door.

While the basement filled up with sewer water we had to wade through it waste deep to save some of the things that were down there (the basement was being used as the storage room.) During all of this the owners husband was driving his semis out of the water salvaging all but a few of them that were stuck behind debris. 

Luckily for all of you I was bored enough to draw a diagram of our building and the street in extreme detail so I don't have to show you the horrendous ipod pictures. 

Posted Image

As you can see I have a god-sent talent with MS paint so if you ever need a guy who excels in media applications you know where to go.

Once i was done wading through shit water we had to wait for the water on the street to drain so we could go home. After about an hour of sitting there, the water had gotten low enough to drive through and the day was thankfully over. I also got paid twice the normal amount I usually get paid because I showed an excellency in the art of shit wading so i was satisfied to some degree...

• Upvote 1

10/10 story, would read again.Where do you live? I never get flash floods like that here. I've heard they can be pretty intense and your story definitely backs that up.

At about the end of my day (a little before 8 pm.) I glanced out the window and it looked like it was midnight. At first I thought maybe we had lost an hour of daylight to daylight savings time ending but after a second I realized that it doesn't end till early winter. After my first realization I thought to myself "oh shit.", and I walked over...

Thought that this was going to be a story about how the sun exploded.

I live about 45 minutes North of the Minneapolis/St Paul Minnesota where this storm had hit. This was the first flash flood i had ever seen myself. Where I live we own 50 acres of swamp/forest so the rain never really builds up it just soaks in thankfully. My work is located a few miles outside of Minneapolis in the metropolitan area so there isnt many places for the rain to go besides the backed up drains.