New Premium Subscription Prices, Tiers

David

In the past, the premium subscription tiers have been broken down like this...

[*]1 Month - $2.49/Month [*]3 Months - $2.25/Month = $6.99 (or something, I don't remember) [*]6 Months - $1.99/Month = $11.99 [*]1 Year - $1.49/Month = $17.99

The prices have changed a bit, but this is generally how it's always been. The prices have always been sort of high because everyone that has purchased a subscription generally does so more as a donation than anything else. Instead of having people donate $20 and manually assigning them some complicated combination 6/3 month subscriptions, I just tiered it to common donation amounts.

Anyways, one day I looked at the tiers and realized how it made little to no sense. Why even bother with 4 different possible tiers? People generally only bought 1 month. Choices are not always good as the can be intimidating and needlessly confusing. Besides, there's now a way people can donate any amount they want.

I ultimately decided to eliminate all but 1 month and 1 year, and drastically reduce prices to the following...

[*]1 Month - $1.99/Month = $1.99 [*]1 Year - $0.99/Month = $11.99

1 Month is noticeably higher because Paypal takes out ~$0.50 in fees; small amounts need to have a bare minimum to be cost effective at all.

Hopefully this is more in line with the value people perceive the perks to be worth so those who are buying a subscription for the benefits instead of a donation don't feel like they're getting screwed. Those beautiful, kind souls among us who want to donate more at once can do so with the donation tab I linked to above.

No one ever buys subscriptions anyway, but yeah. I'm not going to promise they'll never go back up, but here they are for now.

I would buy it, if I could.

Just got off the phone with our hosting provider. For some reason they say they don't take good intentions and fuzzy feelings as payment. What an odd policy.

On a serious note, I'm not begging for anything here, just letting people know. Don't worry about it.

I forgot to ask this when I replied above.

People have said (or PM'd me) quite a bit saying variations of "I would if I could." Do you guys just not have the ability to pay with Paypal, is it an age/parents thing, or something else? I'm not trying to prod or squeeze things out of you, I'm generally curious for my future projects.

For example, my next site will probably accept credit cards, bank wires, and potentially checks. Is that the main issue here, or would those not be helpful?

Those would not help for me. I can't because I don't have access to my bank account until I'm 18. And thus I can't buy stuff over the internet, or donate, for that matter. I could have had access from I was 16, but my parents won't let me until I'm 18. I think atleast, it's possible I couldn't get a PayPal account when I'm below 18 anyways.

I forgot to ask this when I replied above.

People have said (or PM'd me) quite a bit saying variations of "I would if I could." Do you guys just not have the ability to pay with Paypal, is it an age/parents thing, or something else? I'm not trying to prod or squeeze things out of you, I'm generally curious for my future projects.

For example, my next site will probably accept credit cards, bank wires, and potentially checks. Is that the main issue here, or would those not be helpful?

I'm pretty much broke. And I can't get money out of bank because I'm saving up for a new PC. I could pay by PayPal, not really sure what my parents would think if I was donating money to strangers though. (In their eyes)