discerning the transmundane- dawngaurd bug

Guest BigFHustle

Question

Guest BigFHustle

so i did the quest discerning the transmundane through the dawngaurd expansions at level 10ish

and i was not a high enough level to receive harvesting blood

i never got the courier and whenever i visit he never starts to continue with the quest i am now level 42 abd have completed the main quest but not matter what i do the quest just will not start

has anyone else come across this before and have any suggestions on how to proceed

6 answers to this question

I have heard of some other people having that problem, but it's quite rare (maybe because most people aren't under 15 when the attempt it), and may have been fixed by one of the patches. Before trying much else I'd make sure you have your game updated to the most recent version.

People have seemed to be able to solve the bug by reloading the game and waiting until level 15 to hand over the Lexicon, but that's obviously a pretty horrible option since you're level 42+. I'm only mentioning it in case if someone else finds this thread that's still under 15.

Your options can depend on whether you have the game on the 360, PS3, or PC. PC players can use console commands to advance through the quest. 360 and PC users have said that they've received the courier and letter by waiting in Winterhold/other major cities). The PS3 seems to be the odd one out, but I'd still try waiting just to see if it works.

I'm sorry if the above don't work, this is a bug that doesn't really have a lot of sure-fire fixes. Let us know what happens, if it doesn't work maybe we can try something else.

Guest BigFHustle

I am on pc 

though I do not understand a lot about console commands.

and I waited for about 5 days in Winterhold waiting about 2-3 minutes between each wait and no courier came

would you be able to explain how it is done in console commands?

You can bring up the console commands by hitting the tilde "~" key, which is to the left of the "1" on most keyboards.

Then it depends on what you want to do. Lets say you want to set yourself to a certain stage/part/journal entry of a quest. You could use the setstage command, which is formatted like...

setstage <quest ID> <stage #>

Since I'm assuming you want to harvest the blood instead of skipping that stage of the quest, you'd enter this...

setstage DA04 40

This will put you at stage 40 of the Discerning the Transmundane quest. To learn what stage corresponds to what number, UESP has the list at the bottom of every quest page.

Guest BigFHustle

the essence extractor didn't work so i used the setstage to 50

where all the blood was collected and then the quest worked fine from then on

definitely could not have done this without your help.

appreciate it!

thankyou