I can't complete compelling tribute quest

Guest Rebecca

Question

Guest Rebecca

I'm trying to complete the compelling tribute quest I'm with the imperials but when I go to report to hadvar he won't speak to me ? I tried doing other quests n then coming back to talk to him but nothing has worked so far n also ulfric storm cloak is dead ? But I didnt kill him my partner told me that I had to kill him ? Please help !

6 answers to this question

This is the only bug I found involving Hadvar:

(PS3 and Xbox 360) If you attack the Stormcloak caravan before talking to Hadvar, the quest will be impossible to complete.Can be fixed by completing the main quest(Tested on Xbox 360)

I'm assuming you're playing on the PS3/360, correct? If that wasn't the issue, check your quest log and make sure it's still directing you to Hadvar (in the log AND with the white arrow on the world map).

Guest Rebecca

Yea I'm playing on ps3 ! I've attacked the caravan and now hadvar just stands there with his weapon out blubbering about irrelevant stuff ! Now I cannot complete compelling tribute or reunification of skyrim ! Not sure what to do ?

Did you attack the caravan BEFORE you talked to Hadvar? If so, apparently you are unable to complete the quest now according to the wiki excerpt that I posted above. It says that it can be fixed if you stop and go complete the main quest. If you've already beat the main quest you're probably out of luck unless you have a save file from before you made the mistake with Compelling Tribute. You should always have multiple saves for the same character at different points.

Guest Rebecca

I'm pretty sure I attacked the caravan before talking to hadvar ! Which ones the main quest ? Is that the reunification of skyrim one ? If so then yea im screwed because I can't go any further with that without completeing this one ! I love this game but this bug crap is so friggen annoying !

No, Compelling Tribute and Reunification of Skyrim are both quests from the Civil War quest line. The main quest is the one that involves battling the evil dragon, Alduin. Here is a good overview of it. As it says, though, this is a pretty long quest and despite what the wiki says I wouldn't have complete faith that finishing the main quest will fix the other one. If you have a semi-recent save before Compelling Tribute bug, loading it and re-doing a little bit of what you've already accomplished will still probably be your best bet. If not, though, finishing the main quest appears to be your only shot.