can't talk

Guest Cary

Question

While I was playin skyrim I saved it one night. The next day I started playing again and I couldn't talk to anyone in the game. I couldn't read stone etchings. Then I went into a dungeon and fought bandits and as long as I was crouching no one could see me. Deleted that game and tried to start a new game, but I still can't get people to talk to me. So the game doesn't actually start.Does anyone know what the problem is??Thank you

12 answers to this question

What do you mean by can't talk? For example, is there no option to talk to NPCs, or does it enter the dialogue menu (when you lock on to the person and the speech options appear) and just have no choices? Also, did you notice this started during a specific quest, or what were you doing when it began?

Guest Cary Peters

I went to see the greybearsafter I killed the first dragon. they wanted to hear my voice so I did the dragon shout at them. Then they didn't say anything. They wouldn't talk to me. no one would talk to me or even notice me. I went into a dungeon and I killed all the bandits without them even trying to kill me. SO I started over and when they stormcloak is supposed to talk to you, he just stared at me and the game never progressed. we sat in the carriage for 20 minutes before I just got fed up and shut it off.

I've heard of something similar, but I don't remember what the fix was honestly... Just to clarify, answer the following:

[*]What was the specific name of the quest? Sounds like "The Way of the Voice."

[*]Are you on a console (360/PS3) or a PC?

If the game didn't fix itself when you restarted, it's not an issue with the game save. If you're on a console, delete all of the installation and profile data from your console and then run the game again so that it re-installs everything.

Guest Cary Peters

Today when I got home I deleted everything and deleted the cache. Then I unplugged the xbox and plugged it back in. After that the game worked again. I dont know what quest. it was right after you beat the first dragon at whiterun and then yhou go to the greybeards so they can train you. I just got to the greybeards when it happened.I don'[t know what happened but I started a new game tonight and it is working fine again.

Alright, that's good to hear. You probably didn't even have to delete your game saves if it was just the cache (or possibly the installation files). If it happens again I'd try clearing that first to avoid all of the hassle of starting over.I'm sure this thread will help other people searching for an answer to the same issue. Feel free to come back and ask if you ever have anything else come up. You can also create an account to join in with the various community discussions or help others. :)

Guest Guest

So I'm trying to talk to Kodlak in "GLORY OF THE DEAD" when you speak to Kodlak's ghost. But whenever I approach him and try to talk to him he never says anything. It's like a glitch. I press A for xbox360 repeatedly and nothing happens. I HAVE to talk to him in order to finish this quest. This has happened before only once but when I was trying to complete a quest and it wouldnt copy something. I'm getting really fed up with the glitching. I love Skyrim but I dont know if I should update the game through xbox live or what. Should I start deleting things? Or?

So I'm trying to talk to Kodlak in "GLORY OF THE DEAD" when you speak to Kodlak's ghost. But whenever I approach him and try to talk to him he never says anything. It's like a glitch. I press A for xbox360 repeatedly and nothing happens. I HAVE to talk to him in order to finish this quest. This has happened before only once but when I was trying to complete a quest and it wouldnt copy something.I'm getting really fed up with the glitching. I love Skyrim but I dont know if I should update the game through xbox live or what. Should I start deleting things? Or?

You should always make sure the game is updated to the most recent version to minimize the number of bugs. If updating the game doesn't work, you'll probably have to reload from a previous save to continue the quest.

Guest Dakota T

Ok I just did the mission for the jarl of solitude for putting the horn down at the shrine of talos and before I did that mission I killed the women at the weeding for the dark brotherhood so know the jarl just keeps reapeting the emperors cousin is dead this is a disaster when I try to turn in the quest and I don't know what to do I've already cleared my system cache

Guest Personally

Hey I am having the same problems and the NPC's just won't talk. Everything that has to do with the dlcs works though and it's so confusing as I can't progress through and ofnthe original game story lines please help.

Guest jerromy

I had same problems but figured it out. you can not kill any player's with a name till your 100% that your done with them an never have to talk to them again. if you kill a npc before you do the quest there apart of it will remove there talk options. in doing so some times make all talk options go away. I found this out when I killed the lumber seller only way to buy logs in the game to make my house's. I killed her before I started any hose said go talk to her all I found was a walking arrow. when I got close my game froze I turned it on then off an found I could not talk to anyone auto saved it an glitches it.

so do not kill any one with a name until there all done in the quest. I recommend doing dark brother hood after you get all your houses done an helping the jarls in the game first.

Guest Sethoman

I am having a similar problem, it's just that none of the dialogue will play unless they are answering something that you say. NPC's will only speak when I am locked in conversation with them, never when they are just saying something. Like Guards wont say anything. When I do the "Proving Honor" Companions quest and I get locked in the cage nothing happens, and when I am at a wedding Maramal doesn't say anything, we all just sit there in awkward silence. What do I do? I feel like deleting all the cache and stuff will help, but I dont want to start all over, and I'm on a disc. Btw, this is on Xbox 360. I also have the three add ons, could that be it? Thanks you for any help.